The report of the 1960 Iverk Show in the Munster Express, September 9th read
‘Like the entries, the number of trade stands and industrial exhibits constituted a record. To those of last year, several new ones were added
And one of those new trade stands was Murphy’s Motors from Glenmore. Established in 1960 by Michael Murphy, Murphy’s Motors have only missed two shows since then in 60 years. That was in 1974 on the tragic death of Michael and in 2001 when the show was cancelled due to the Foot and Mouth disease. That is some record and the Show committee congratulate and thank Murphy’s Motors for your support and wish Dick and Bernie continued success.
With no Iverk Show this year due to the Covid 19 virus we think it is worth looking back over the years and see if you remember past years. The first Iverk Show was held in 1826 under the auspices of the Iverk Farming Society.
According to reports in the Munster Express the 1960 show broke many records. It was held in the same grounds as the 1826 event – the Bessborough Demesne but in 1960 the property belonged to the Oblate Fathers and is now Kildalton College. It was Thursday the 8th September. The sun shone brilliantly for the first time in many weeks ensuring a very large attendance. Were you there? Let us know your memories.
The 1959 show recorded a record profit of IR£200. With the characteristic spirit of enterprise which has always dominated the activities of the committee, these unprecedented receipts were ploughed back thus enabling more classes to be added and increased prize money to be offered.
The number of entries continued to grow year on year. There were over 1,000 which was a record number. The increase was particularly noticeable in the horse classes which were up almost 50% on those of 12 months earlier. The high standard of ponies won the praise of the judges.
The Royal Dublin Society (RDS) gave four premiums worth £16 each for suitable non-thoroughbred mares. The London magazine ‘Riding’ presented medallions and rosettes for novice ponies.
Cattle number were down. This was easy to understand when farmers had difficulties with the Bovine Tuberculosis eradication scheme and the concern of being able to save their crops following the poor summer weather.
The Grianawn Cup for the best animal shown in the cattle classes and the Miloko Cup for the best cow in milk, and the most suitable for dairy purposes was won by Mr J. Purcell, Piltown with his Friesian cow Tara Wren. The Creamery Cup for the best three-year-old heifer went to Mr. R. Blackmore.
The Denny Cup and replica for the best in the bacon classes was won by Mrs Leonard, Glen of Aherlow.
Kilkenny County Committee of Agriculture allocated a sum of £100 to Iverk Farming Society (Piltown Show), the same as last year.
In all other sections – poultry, vegetables, flowers, fruit, farm produce and especially home industries and home crafts entries soared ahead.
Big winners on the day included, Gooseberries – Mrs R Blackmore, Bannagher; Mrs Ita Connolly from Templeorum had a good day winning with her poultry pullet and dish of scones; W Walsh Tybroughney had the best stumpy carrots; Eamonn Fitzpatrick, Ballygowan best spring wheat; Edward Duggan, Belline best red fodder beet and Miss K Keneally won the wholemeal bread class.
The catering arrangements were as in former years, carried out by Mr Bob Duggan, Owning and his staff in their usual efficient manner.
Included in the 25 valuable prizes for the raffle were 400 Sweet Afton, 400 Players and 400 Gold Flake cigarettes. The winner of the first prize of eight tonnes of lime was B Harrington, The School House, Kilmoganny. May Knox c/o Walsh’s Piltown took the second prize – a cheque for 5 guineas presented by the Earl of Bessboro, London.
There was a long puck competition advertised with a cup and cash prize.
C.I.E. offered the usual facilities. Exhibits which were not sold or exchanged were conveyed free on the return journey on surrender of a certificate, signed by the Show secretary, which were obtained from him on Show day.
Admission to the show was 2/6 and cars 2/6. Profit for the day was £40 which was down considerable on 1959.
Piltown Show day was never complete without a visit to the annual show night dance. It was held in Mooncoin Parochial Hall from 9 pm to 2 am. Music was by the Savoy Showband. Admission was 5/- and a record attendance of 600 graced the floor.